Friday night I started having sporadic Braxton-Hicks contractions. I left a message for the on-call doctor because I've never had more than one or two at a time. However, he/she did NOT call me back -- ridiculous. But, I drank a lot of water and laid down, and the contractions stopped. We went to bed.
I woke up at 3 AM, and the contractions were coming every 5-10 minutes. And they were even a little painful, which was different from other times I have had them. We decided to go to the hospital just in case. The contractions were coming stronger by this point -- every three minutes or so. However, exams and tests confirmed that I was NOT in labor (thank goodness). My fFN test was negative, which means that I have a less than 2% chance of going into labor in the next 2 weeks. And I tested negative for a bladder infection (which can cause contractions). After several bags of IV fluids, the contractions became much less frequent. The consensus is that I was just dehydrated. Ava looked great the entire time, although she HATED the contractions. Every time I had one, she would kick me like crazy. But, her heart rate was strong and did not fluctuate during contractions, so she didn't seem to be in any distress.
The nurses and doctor were wonderful -- in the three hours I was there, I had two exams, was hooked up to a fetal heart rate and contraction monitor the entire time, was given several tests to check for labor, and was given two bags of IV fluids. I am so glad that we chose this hospital to deliver in!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment